Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Busay Week 1‏

Hello to all of my dear family and friends!

Well what a week it has been. The emergency/surprise transfer happened and all went smoothly and I am now in Busay! Here's a run-down of my week for ya...

Last Wednesday, my last day in CarCar, was a really great day. After emailing, we went to the recording studio of a french man in the ward there named Francois, and we recorded "Oh what songs of the heart" (Dad's favorite song :) ) It was way funny because my voice sounds like a 2 year old, of course, and so he spent like 15 minutes autotuning my part. It turned out really funny and I will somehow try to send a copy home.
That night we had my "last supper" in CarCar with the wonderful Weller family, we had fried chicken and some other vegetables and things and it was so good. Sister Weller is an amazing cook. Then we took pictures and they drove us back to our apartment. I had a really hard time saying goodbye to Sister Weller and her family, as they have become my family. But I have no doubt that I will be able to see them again after the mission. I have already received emails from the wonderful people in Carcar and I have no worries that they will continue to do well and progress in the gospel and trust in Heavenly Father!

Thursday morning, bright and early at 6:00, Elder Mingus and his companion Elder Quinco came and picked me up in their car, struggled to fit my luggage in :), and drove me to the city. I got to hang out in the mission office for a little while with the other missionaries affected by the transfer, and then Sister Zamora came in. We loaded all of my things into a taxi and drove just 10 minutes away to our apartment.

Our apartment is actually in Lahug. I think Busay is actually part of Lahug but I am not really sure. It is super close to the temple though, which is really nice, because we can walk to church and also show our investigators the temple.

Now when I got the transfer call that I would be coming here to Busay, I was pretty sure that because it's in Cebu City, my area would be pretty city-ish. But boy was I wrong! It's about as bukid (rural) as you can get. It's above the city, and it is really steep. I feel like I'm back in cheer practice climbing stadiums at Ogden High...we climb and climb and climb all day. It's good though, because there is also this amazing cupcake shop here, so I feel like I can justify eating red velvet cupcakes because I'm hiking all day. :)

The ward here is really great, and they are really enthusiastic about missionary work. Everyone is willing to help out and pitch in and do their part. As a missionary it really is so helpful to have the support of the ward you serve in. Something that we have had a lot of success with this week is teaching investigators in the homes of members.

I have come to the conclusion that no matter what area I serve in, I just love the people so much. I love the Filipino people and I love how this ward has been so welcoming and accepting of me. Apparently missionaries in the past have spoken a lot of English in this ward since everyone speaks English here, so they were really surprised when I came in and started speaking Cebuano :)

We had a baptism on Saturday! It was my first baptism of my mission. It's crazy how things come full-circle because my amazing Sister Minguez is the one who started teaching them. It's a really cute couple and their names are Inday and Tata. I only taught them one lesson before their baptism. I really feel blessed to have been apart of their baptism. They just got married two weeks ago and are really great.

I don't really have much else to say other than that the work moves forward no matter where you are, and that the Philippines is just wonderful and I'm so happy to be serving here!

I love you all so much, and I know I say that a lot but I mean it, and I am so happy I have such a great and strong support system back home. Keep on keepin' on and I will do the same :)
Love,

Sister Joslyn Harris
 
Recording Hymns

I Love Sister Minguez

First Baptism

My Rocky Hilly area
 

No comments:

Post a Comment