Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Labangon Week...? basta, HAPPY ONE YEAR TO ME!‏


Ahh hello everyone!! 

How is everything going for all of you?! First of all, can you believe that I've been a set-apart missionary for a year now?! I remember August 27th of last year very clearly. I traded my first name for a little black nametag that has completely changed my life, and I've never been happier.

This week has been a great week full of...baptisms and conferences! That's the life of a missionary for ya :) Last Thursday was a very busy day for us. Early in the morning, we took a taxi to Lahug for a mission conference with Elder Bowen of the Philippines Area Presidency. It was a great opportunity to learn and receive instruction from him. However, my favorite thing that was said was from President McCurdy. He talked about rising to our responsibilities as missionaries and I love this quote he shared: "Not shrinking is better than surviving." We must rise up to our responsibilities and fulfill our katuyoan (purpose) here in the mission. When things get hard, we rely on the Atonement of Christ, and keep moving forward!

Thursday night was the long awaited baptism of Fernando and Marvin. The taxi driver and the sikad driver haha. It was a great, spiritual service and there was a ton of member support. Both of these men have made great sacrifices in their lives to be baptized. Heck...Fernando couldn't even stand the day of his baptismal interview! Marvin is a 23 year old with a big heart and an even bigger testimony...as in he gave a 40 minute testimony...!! You should've seen the members, they were almost asleep haha but Marvin was just as happy as ever. Great day.

Well as you all know I am now at the one year mark of my mission. All of the members here know this as well :) We had a special edition FHE Monday night at the Posadas' home to celebrate my "birthday". I gave a short lesson about missionary work, and after the lesson they dimmed the lights and started singing "Happy Birthday" to me, and surprised me with a delicious chocolate cake! Their daughter Monica, who knows I loooove cactus's, surprised me with my very own cactus! I have been taking very good care of it, and I expect for mom and dad to figure out a way I can bring it home in February!

All of our investigators are doing great, not any big drastic dramatic changes, but they are all progressing and hopefully we are keeping them happy.

In the words of Sister McCurdy, this mission is just "one big miracle". I am thankful for my miracle of a mission. I am so thankful that I was forced out of my comfort zone and forced to change and become this new and improved person who was so prideful and vain and focused on the things of the world just one year ago. I have seen miracles in the people I've taught, and I've seen miracles occur in myself and I will never be the same. Pasaylo kaayo, kay lisod siya sa pag sulat-sulat sa English, kanunay magbisaya ko diri. Apan salamat kaayo para sa inyong support sa akong mission. 

I was reading this morning during my personal study and found this scripture that I think my mother will really enjoy, I added my own words in quotations. I love you all, I love my mission, and above all of that I love my Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, they know us so individually and know exactly what we need.
I Nephi 5:7
And when we (I) had returned to the tent of my father (the United States of America), behold their joy was full, and my mother was comforted. 

I love you all. You are always in my thoughts and prayers! Have a great week.

Love, Sister Joslyn Harris
Sister Missionaries

Celebrating One year mark

Sister Tueller

Monica and my catcus

Baptism Group

Posadas Family Party for Me

In a Tri Cycle

Fernando and His family
One Year Mark Celebration

See the bones, I ate the whole fish

Fernando, Marvin & Rene

Overlook of Cebu

Entire Baptism Party

Posada's Party

Acting at the Party

Sister Primero and Me

Love these guys

Best Friends Sister Wechsler

Me, investigators Ninfa, Grace, & Helen

More Party Fun

Love these Investigators

Sister Tueller and Me

One Year Mark Hooray

No comments:

Post a Comment