Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Toledo Week 12

Hello everyone!
Exactly 9 months ago today, I started my mission! It's been an emotional past few days as I've come to the realization that my mission is halfway over. I love these people I am serving, and I LOVE the life I am living as a missionary, I can't even imagine at this point that it has to come to an end.
I am having to freshen up on my English, because I am realizing that I can't speak my native language anymore. Living in an apartment with all Filipinas, we rarely speak English. We went English tracting the other day, and I had the hardest time having a full conversation in English! My social skills have gone down the drain so just be ready to be patient with me when I come home. ;)
This email might be kinda short because we are getting ready to go to a zone activity at the beach! I'm excited.

This week has been really good. On Saturday, Rico was baptized! It was such a special day. Kyla, the daughter of a less active family in Toledo, was baptized as well. Sister Wechsler and her companion, Sister McCann were able to come for the baptism. Everyone was so excited to see Sister Wechsler again! Elder Young performed the baptisms, and after the baptism, Rico gave the most amazing testimony. It gave me chills. He is such a great person and has overcome so much to come closer to Christ. During his confirmation on Sunday there was such a special spirit in the chapel, and I couldn't help but feel like Rico is going to change lives, just like he has changed mine as I've witnessed his conversion.
Sister Domingo wasn't feeling well this week, so on Monday, I had a lot of time to study and I have really had the desire to learn more about Jesus Christ. At the beginning of my mission I had a concern with how I would gain a relationship with Jesus Christ. Of course we pray to Heavenly Father, so how would I gain that personal bond with my Savior and Redeemer? The past few days have been especially special as I have had some great personal studies. Emotional because I can't believe I'm halfway through my mission, and spiritual because I feel like I am coming to truly know Christ. I have been studying about Christ and specifically focusing in John, Chapters 13 and 14. Before my mission, I knew Christ lived, but I didn't know it personally like I do now. It's like my eyes have been opened to something that was always there, but I could never see. I can confidently say now that I have a personal and close relationship with Jesus Christ, as I have studied about him and come to know him through this time on my mission. He is my best friend.

I am so thankful for this mission, and just as lost as ever in the work of the Lord. I am so thankful to be an instrument in His hands, to experience this mighty change of heart that I have heard about my whole life, but never felt until now.
I hope you all have a great week and remember what truly matters in life.
Love, Sister Joslyn Harris :)
Bridges we cross to teach between shantys

Rico & Kyla get Baptized

Home during low tide

I love these girls

Sister Wechsler and me

Low tide today

sikad

Carnival is almost ready
 

No comments:

Post a Comment